|Frequency||On-going, start any time|
|Duration||up to 20 weeks|
|Courses||a) Academic research
b) Academic writing
|Self study||148 h|
. . .are able to deduce, document and present a proposed explanation for a research question . . .
. . . based upon the techniques and principles of academic research and writing . . .
. . . in order to derive an answer for an identified research problem by . . .
• understanding the foundations of academic research and differentiating them from random approaches of problem solving,
• giving examples of generally accepted academic principles and identifying academic misbehavior,
• understanding the concepts of inductive and deductive reasoning as well as falsification and falsifiability,
• differentiating between research questions and research hypotheses as well as research approaches and alternative scientific styles and structural designs,
• identifying a topic/title and developing a research aim,
• conducting literature research and evaluating the quality of information sources,
• differentiating possible elements of research papers,
• deducing an interpretation of a topic from a theoretical perspective and/or against the background of a given problem setting,
• developing a structure of a research paper that corresponds with the interpretation,
• applying rules of referencing and citation in a consistent way,
• applying the principles of academic language and writing,
• applying techniques of argumentation.
|Syllabus||1. Foundations of academic research
2. Academic principles
3. Research logic
4. Research process
5. Identification of a topic
6. Sourcing of information
7. Elements of a research paper
8. Interpretation of a topic
9. Structuring technique
11. Academic language and writing style
|Teaching and learning methods||1.) E-learning, textbook studies
2.) Term paper
3.) Poster presentation
|Requirements for certificate||50% of points|
|Deployment of module||Unrestricted|
|Coordinating instructor||Prof. Dr. Christian Decker|
|Language of instruction||English|
American Psychological Association. Publication Manual of the American Psychological
Association, Washington, DC: Author.
Decker, C. & Werner, R. Academic research and writing: A concise introduction, Frankfurt am Main: iCADEMICUS